What does a picture-perfect morning look like to you?
Breakfast in bed? A walk down by the river? Sleeping in until 10 a.m.? For me a picture-perfect morning is a swim in the pool, followed by a slow breakfast on the sunny patio with my hubby, Alex.
I can probably count the number of times we have had these kinds of morning on my fingers alone, but that’s what makes these moments all the more special. They are a rare treat — one of those moments you constantly look forward to, even if it only happens a few times a year.
This past Saturday was an unexpected picture-perfect morning. I nearly had to pinch myself as I sat next to my husband on the sun-flooded patio. Birds chirped happy songs of summer; The sun shined brilliantly in the sky; And my love was actually awake for breakfast. It was a dream come true.
If this bliss wasn’t enough to satisfy me, the Cinnamon French Toast sitting in front of me took the morning to a whole new level. You’ll notice this recipe is gluten free and dairy free. Even if you are not lactose- or gluten-intolerant, I highly recommend you try this recipe anyways. Udi’s Millet Chia Bread is full of incredible ancient grains and unlike anything you’ve ever tasted before. It’s the perfect bread for french toast and sandwiches, and it’s packed with nutrients that your body needs.
Then there’s the almond milk. If you’ve never had it before, you’re really missing out. Since going dairy free for my chronic health issues I don’t crave regular milk — I crave almond milk! It’s that good!
- 4 slices gluten-free or regular bread
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- Cherries, blueberries or bananas for topping
- Maple syrup as desired
- Whisk together the egg, almond milk, cinnamon and vanilla in a shallow dish.
- Dip bread in egg mixture, turning to coat both sides completely.
- Cook bread slices in a skillet over medium heat until partially browned on both sides.
- Top with cherries, blueberries, bananas or your favorite kind of fruit. Drizzle with maple syrup and enjoy.