Confession: I may or may not have eaten this Hot Chocolate Baked French Toast all by myself.
Mr. Making Life Sweet was traveling alllll last week for work, so let’s just say he missed out big time. I was planning to save him some but then before I knew it eight slices were gone. At this point, I figured I might as well finish the dish off. Whoops! Sorry, not sorry, hubby.
As a lover of all things baked, I’ve always liked french toast. My go-to recipe is for Quick-and-Easy Cinnamon French Toast (with cherries on top, of course). It’s perfect for any day of the week because it takes less than 10 minutes to make! This Hot Chocolate Baked French Toast with Peanut Butter Glaze is a different story. It’s not hard to make but it does take a bit longer since it has to bake in the oven. AKA definitely a weekend breakfast or brunch recipe.
Part of the reason why I couldn’t stop myself from eating this decadent, rich and delicious dish is the peanut butter glaze. You think eating a spoonful of peanut butter is good? Try a spoonful of peanut butter glaze. I know, I know, I’m totally being self-indulgent here, but everyone’s gotta indulge every now and then.
I tend to like thicker glazes, so if you’re wondering why the glaze looks thick in the pictures, it’s because it is! 😉 If you like a thinner glaze, feel free to add more milk when mixing it until you’re satisfied with the thickness.
I enjoyed this french toast with a steaming hot mocha, but if you’ve got an insatiable sweet tooth, I’d say this would be great with a cup of hot chocolate too. Truth: God, love, wine and chocolate makes everything better — in that order.
This is a sponsored post, written by me, and created in partnership with Canyon Bakehouse. All opinions expressed are straight from the heart.
- Get recipes and faith inspiration delivered to your inbox weekly! Click here to sign up for the free Making Life Sweet newsletter!
- 10 slices Canyon Bakehouse Mountain White bread
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar of choice (coconut, cane, honey)
- 2 cups canned coconut milk
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- For the peanut butter drizzle:
- 3 tablespoons peanut butter
- 1 cup organic powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons almond milk
- Preheat oven to 350˚ F. Grease a 9×9-inch baker and arrange the slices in the baker in overlapping rows, as shown in the pictures above.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the coconut milk, eggs and vanilla. Add cocoa powder and sugar and mix until combined. Pour hot chocolate mixture over the bread and coat as best as you can. You can use your hands to submerge the bread in the hot chocolate mixture if it doesn’t get coated from pouring. Bake for 40-45 minutes, until the hot chocolate mixture is set in the center.
- For the peanut butter drizzle, place ingredients in a small bowl and stir until combined. Add more milk if necessary to thin out. Drizzle over baked French toast and serve warm with maple syrup.