You can learn to love (or at least appreciate) a lot of things.
Like vegetables or exercising, for example. You may not be a person who naturally gravitates toward either, but with a little time and effort you can grow to appreciate what the latter two things can do for your body. I daresay you can even learn to appreciate cleaning, for in the end it yields a better end result.
But what about Monday mornings? I don’t know about you, but I sure haven’t been able to learn to love or appreciate Mondays just yet. I try to see it as a new opportunity — a new start — but in the end, I always end up dreading Monday morning when it comes around. It’s not that I don’t like working. I like going to work, and I like having things to do. It’s the quick transition from a relaxing weekend back to the hustle and bustle that I have trouble with. And I don’t know if a person ever gets used to that. Weekends are lovely, and it’s always hard to see a good thing go.
This weekend, I couldn’t wait to make these Thai Salmon Burgers. I’m not kidding when I say this is the meal that has been missing in my life. The flavors are incredible, and if cooked right (don’t ever cook salmon too long!) the texture is great too!
I considered doing a Thai peanut sauce to top these burgers with, but I think the Sriracha mayo is the perfect choice when combined with the Thai red curry paste that is in the patties.
- 1 pound fresh, raw salmon
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Thai red curry paste
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 2/3 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 hamburger buns (whole wheat, white, or your preference)
- 1 large carrot, shredded
- 1/4 cup brussel sprouts, shredded
- 1/4 cup greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons mayo
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- In the bowl of a food processor, pulse the salmon until it is somewhat ground. In a large bowl, combine the ground salmon with the onion, red bell pepper, garlic, brown sugar, red curry paste, parsley, bread crumbs and eggs and mix until just combined.
- Form the mixture into patties and set on a parchment lined baking sheet. (This can be difficult because they are so wet, but they will stay together on the stove!)
- Heat a tablespoon of sesame oil over medium-high heat and cook the patties for 3-4 minutes, until you can see the edges brown and the salmon becoming opaque. Flip carefully and cook for another 3-4 minutes or until the burgers are cooked through.
- To make the slaw, quickly throw together the brussel sprouts and carrots, tossing well. Next, make the Sriracha mayo by combining the last four ingredients. Place each burger on a mayo slathered bun and top the slaw.