Where are my sandwich lovers? Raise your hand high if you’re out there!
Like you, I am a sandwich lover. I love how it feels to hold a sandwich. I love the smell of freshly toasted bread. I love the sight of one waiting to be devoured. But most of all, I love the layered flavors that come with each and every bite.
Like many Americans I was raised eating sandwiches for lunch. But unlike most, I had a mother who made me more than just the usual PB&J or turkey and swiss. Egg salad, chicken salad and BLTs were just a few of the yummy sandwiches in my lunchbox rotation.
It’s no wonder why as an adult I still eat sandwiches for lunch almost every single day. This gluten-free girl will never give up her sandwiches. They’re comforting, satisfying and with so many combinations out there they never get boring for me.
Maybe you’re not like me. Maybe the thought of a sandwich — of two slices of bread and some stuff in between — does not sound exciting or appealing to you. If that’s the case then I must encourage you to try today’s Avocado + Sweet Potato Hummus Sandwich. This sandwich is literally oozing with flavor, and healthy whole grains and fats.
There’s a little prep time involved, but it is worth the wait. You also might make a mess while eating it, but I believe the best kinds of sandwiches are the messy kind.
What’s the best sandwich you’ve ever had? Share with us in the comments below!
- Get delicious and healthy recipes delivered to your inbox weekly! Click here to sign up for the free Making Life Sweet newsletter!
This is a sponsored post, written by me, and created in partnership with Canyon Bakehouse. All opinions expressed are straight from the heart.
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 2 tomato slices
- 4 slices [url href=”http://canyonbakehouse.com” target=”_blank”]Canyon Bakehouse[/url] 7-grain bread, toasted
- [br][b]For the sweet potato hummus:[/b]
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chickpeas
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- Sea salt, to taste
- [b]For the sweet potato hummus:[/b] Preheat oven to 400˚ F. Place sweet potatoes in a roasting pan and drizzle with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Roast in the oven for 40 minutes or until fork tender, stirring occasionally. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Place roasted sweet potato and remaining ingredients in the bowl of a food processor and blend well.
- To assemble the sandwiches: Spread sweet potato hummus on one piece of toast and top with avocado slices, tomato and remaining piece of toast.