Today is … you guessed it:
Cinco De Mayo! Although it is not inherently an American holiday, it seems almost un-American not to celebrate this special day. Kind of like how we celebrate St. Patrick’s Day. Are we all Irish? No! But we can all appreciate the Irish culture, especially when it comes to food and drink.
The same is true for Cinco De Mayo. According to the History Channel, although Cinco De Mayo is “a relatively minor holiday in Mexico, in the United States [it] has evolved into a celebration of Mexican culture and heritage, particularly in areas with large Mexican-American populations.”
Today my work will be celebrating with a rooftop party at the end of the day, complete with drinks, guacamole, chips, beans and this Mango Salsa. What will YOU be doing to celebrate?
- 1 mango, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup peeled and diced cucumber
- 1/3 cup diced sweet onion
- 1 tablespoon finely diced jalapeño
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- Combine the mango, cucumber, onion, jalapeño, lime juice and olive oil and stir until combined. Salt and pepper to taste.