This Kale Quinoa Avocado Salad is packed with colorful nutrients and perfect as a main dish or side.
There are few things I enjoy more than cooking a meal for someone. It’s the reason why I’ve contemplated becoming a personal chef someday – I love being able to fill hungry bellies with a high-quality meal. But sharing meals goes beyond the simple act of cooking. What happens in the kitchen can be exciting, but what’s more important are the memories made at the dinner table (whether you’re dinner out or in).
While writing a story for Woodbury Magazine last month, I got to talk to a business owner who was opening up his second olive oil shop in the Minneapolis suburb-area. When asked what made him pursue this kind of business, he referenced his love affair with the Mediterranean lifestyle, and their attitude toward mealtimes. In Europe, sharing meals together is all about enjoyment. They don’t rush; they take their time – savoring every bite and every twist and turn of conversation. I, too, deeply revere and long for those kind of meals every day. And I try my hardest to make them happen whenever possible.
Food is a necessary part of life. So is community. When we combine the two, it makes for an even more meaningful experience.
I made this summery kale quinoa avocado salad dish for a get-together with a dear friend, who I met in the Twin Cities. I didn’t know how filling the dish would be … but I think if I make it for dinner again, I will add chicken. For lunch, a larger portion and more avocados will suffice. (:
So cook with love. Serve with love. Eat with love. And enjoy!
- 2/3 cup quinoa
- 5 kale leaves, torn into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 avocado, diced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup vidalia onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup bell pepper, chopped (orange or yellow)
- 1/3 cup sweet corn, cooked
- [b]For the dressing:[/b]
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Cook the quinoa according to package instructions. Set aside to cool.
- Place the kale in a steamer basket over 1 inch of boiling water in a saucepan. Cover and let steam for 5 minutes. Transfer to a large serving plate.
- In a large bowl, combine the quinoa and remaining ingredients. Pour the quinoa mixture over the steamed kale. In a small bowl, mix the dressing ingredients with a fork until combined and drizzle over the salad.