When was the last time you laughed?
Today? Yesterday? A week ago? A month ago?
What makes you laugh? Can you picture it in your mind? Is it a moment, a memory, a person, a movie, a thing?
I believe laughter is a very important element of life. And yet even though we know it can improve our quality of life, I have come to realize that it is often forgotten or left out of our daily routines. That’s why I am intentional about making laughter a part of everyday life.
When I am having a bad day I often ask myself: Have I laughed today? Usually the answer is no and if that is the case, I look for ways to change that. Whether it’s laughing at myself or watching a quick funny YouTube video, I know making time for laughter enhances my life. But like most things (food included) laughter is better when it’s shared together.
This weekend, my dearly beloved husband and I shared much laughter together. After a Fourth of July family “vacation” and one of the longest weeks of our lives, we were happy to have a house to ourselves and just be.
Of course I was also happy to be back in my kitchen again, making this Grilled Peach Salad with corn and bacon. When the humidity is close to 100% outside, dinner salads are almost a necessity to beat the heat. What I love about this salad are the flavor combinations that go into it: grilled peaches and a lemon vinaigrette; bacon and red onions; and sweet corn and greens.
This is one of my all-time favorite summer salads. It’s tantalizing, fresh and like a bout of laughter, oh-so-satisfying to the soul!
- 2 peaches, halved and pitted
- 1 ear sweet corn
- 3-4 strips bacon, cooked and chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 3 cups mixed greens
- [br][b]For the lemon vinaigrette:[/b]
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon Herbs de Provence
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper and salt to taste
- First, make the dressing. In a small bowl or jar, whisk together ingredients and set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Shuck the corn and place into boiling water, cover the pot, turn off the heat, and let the corn cook until tender, about 8-10 minutes. Remove the corn and let cool. Using a knife, cut corn off of the cob and set aside.
- Preheat the grill to high heat. Lightly brush the peach halves with the dressing. Place the peaches cut side down on the hot grill. Grill for 5 minutes, or until the peaches are soft and have grill marks. Remove peaches from the grill, let cool and slice.
- Place greens, corn, sliced peaches, bacon and red onion in a large salad bowl. Drizzle with salad dressing, gently toss and serve immediately.