Each summer, the Mr. and I bike the Chain of Lakes in downtown Minneapolis.
The lakes are undoubtedly beautiful, but they are also full of memories between the two of us, making them all the more special. When I moved to Minneapolis, I spent my first morning running around Lake Harriet. Lake Calhoun and Lake of the Isles also became places where I read, swam, biked and kayaked almost daily. The lakes were my safe haven — a much needed place of rest for a college intern.
When Alex and I moved here permanently in 2014, he proposed to me less than week later, on the Lake of the Isles. Three months later we took our engagement photos in that very same spot.
No matter where life takes us, the lakes will always hold a special place in our hearts and biking around them allows us to relive the memories. Once we finished biking this weekend, I knew I wasn’t going to be up for an elaborate dinner. But I also was craving meat BIG TIME to replenish my energy.
These BBQ Chicken Skewers and Homemade Cilantro Lime Ranch were the perfect solution. By using chicken tenders instead of breasts, there is no cutting involved so all you have to do is thread them on the skewers as is! And THE RANCH. Like whoa. So addicting and also SO good for vegetable dipping. Unlike me, if you don’t eat it all you can refrigerate the dip in an airtight container for up to three days.
- [b]For the Chicken Skewers:[/b]
- 1 lb chicken tenders
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 cup your favorite BBQ sauce
- [b]For the ranch dip:[/b]
- 3/4 cup plain, non-fat Greek yogurt
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 clove garlic. minced
- 1 tablespoon dill, chopped
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Preheat the grill to medium or medium-low heat (300-350˚ F).
- Prepare the ranch dip: Place all ingredients in a food processor and blend until combined. Pour ranch into dipping bowls and set aside.
- Pat the chicken dry with paper towels. In a small bowl, combine the paprika and sugar and place the chicken tenders in mixture to coat.
- Thread the chicken onto skewers, rolling or folding as needed.
- Grill the chicken skewers for 3 minutes per side, then brush with the BBQ sauce and grill another 3 minutes per side. Serve warm.